Sunday, June 8, 2014

Change in Bengbu - 1

I have been travelling to China since 1997, and first visited Bengbu in 2005.  I remember stating in earlier trips that I was astounded with the growth and progress in China. It seems hyperbolic to state that my impression this few years later is even more astounding. The growth pace is "breakneck x 10". Old buildings demolished, new skyscrapers going up everywhere. 

I remember when the current orphanage was being built on the "outskirts of town". Now, the orphanage is dwarfed by skyscrapers going up all around it.

The change is traumatic.  Very little seems to be kept intact during the change.  Old neighborhoods and streets are being obliterated and replaced with completely different street layouts and buildings.  It's so startling to me.  Landmarks are completely gone.   A small and quiet park that once stood next to the hotel where I first stayed in 2005 is completely wiped from the landscape.  The area where it was is now occupied by a 6 story mall.  No part of it remains.



(photos showing the eradication of buildings and streets, to make way for new buildings and stores)

I particularly mourn the passing of an open air street market, which to me was synonymous with the quaint and beautiful soul of Bengbu.  I had visited it each time I came to town, and love to meander down the alleys looking at the wares, and waving at smiling faces.




(above 3 photos) - Street scenes near the river in 2007

(below 3 photos) - Same streets in 2014.  All the stores have been gutted, and there are no signs of shoppers anywhere.  I was told that the open air market has moved elsewhere.





No comments:

Post a Comment